Barbra Streisand skips Cannes closing night on doctors’ advice as she recovers from knee injury

Barbra Streisand skips Cannes closing night on doctors’ advice as she recovers from knee injury


CANNES, May 18 — United States actress and singer Barbra Streisand has cancelled her appearance at the closing ceremony of the Cannes Film Festival, where she had been due to receive an honorary Palme d’Or in person, reported German Press Agency (dpa).

“On the advice of my doctors, as I continue recovering from a knee injury, I am sadly unable to attend the Festival de Cannes this year,” Streisand said in a statement released by the festival on Sunday.

She said she felt “deeply honoured” to receive the award and had been looking forward to celebrating the “remarkable films of the 79th edition”.

The festival said the tribute to Streisand would go ahead despite her absence.

The closing ceremony, including the awards presentation, is scheduled for Saturday, May 23.

Streisand, 84, is an icon of both music and film. She has released 37 studio albums and won 10 Grammy Awards, two Oscars — including one as the first woman to win for Best Original Song — and 11 Golden Globes.

She has also left a lasting mark on cinema with films such as Funny GirlYentlWhat’s Up, Doc? and The Mirror Has Two Faces.

She will be the third figure to be awarded an honorary Palme d’Or at this year’s festival.

At the opening ceremony, Peter Jackson, director of The Lord of the Rings, received the prize, while John Travolta was presented with a surprise honorary Palme d’Or on Friday. — Bernama-dpa



Source link

OR

Scroll to Top